Fake Mato Sauce- Nightshade Friendly Tomato Style Sauce
A rich and hearty sauce so tasty, you wont miss the tomato. We missed our Italian style tomato sauces, this recipe opened the door to so many more options... Perfect for lasagna, Bolognese, meatballs, pizza!, or even the base for a fake-mato soup! It's on the table in about 20 minutes too!
Sauteed Onions & Garlic
- 1 tbsp Coconut Oil or Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 8 oz Sweet Onion
- 4 cloves Garlic
Beets & Carrots
- 4 oz Raw Beet Remove skin, cut into chunks
- 1 lb Carrots
- 1 leaf Bay Leaves
- 4 cups Vegetable broth
- 3 tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 tsp Onion Powder
- 1 tsp Umboshi Paste optional
- 1 tbsp Italian Seasoning
- In frying pan or skillet, saute onions and garlic in 1 TBSP coconut oil until onions are translucent. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Once the carrots and beets are tender, (remove the bay leaf) and place them in the blender (along with the stock) and blend until smooth. TIP: if the mixture is too thick, add water until you get the consistency of a tomato sauce.
- Add the balsamic vinegar, umboshi paste, onion powder and Italian seasoning, and pulse the blender again a few times to combine
- Now pour the sauce into a bowl and stir in the sauteed onions and garlic... et Voila!
Calories: 102kcalCarbohydrates: 16gProtein: 1gFat: 4gSaturated Fat: 4gPolyunsaturated Fat: 0.2gMonounsaturated Fat: 0.3gSodium: 164mgPotassium: 389mgFiber: 3gSugar: 8g
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!