Fast day meals are quick and easy with our perfect powerhouse salad. Loaded with romaine, spinach and watercress greens. We add red onions, carrots, avocado and a homemade “bursting balsamic vinaigrette“. Top with your favorite meat or seafood and dinner is done in 15 minutes or less and under 500 calories.
Our balsamic vinaigrette was created with our latest find while celebrating our wedding anniversary in Naples, Florida. We love to explore the town and shops. We found this great organic olive oil shop (Florida Olive Oil Company) and after tasting nearly a dozen varieties of olive oils and balsamic vinegar blends, we settled on three favorites (to start). We used a dark Black currant balsamic vinegar with a lemongrass and basil infused olive oil. Healthy cooking can be fun and tasty!
If you haven’t tried watercress before, it adds great flavor and texture to salads, soups or sandwiches. Watercress is an ancient green that falls into the same family of vegetables as kale, broccoli, arugula and Brussel sprouts. It is a nutrient dense food that qualifies as a “super-food”. Hippocrates, the father of medicine, new the value of this nutrient dense food and used watercress to treat his patients. Watercress is loaded with Vitamin K for bone health, contains a higher percentage of Vitamin C then an orange, high in Vitamin A, folate and calcium, the B-complex vitamins, Vitamin E, manganese, potassium, magnesium, copper and phosphorus. At only 4 calories per cup, it’s a great choice to boost your vitamin and mineral intake while slimming down.
Perfect Powerhouse Salad (under 500 calories)
- 9 oz Sockeye Salmon Fillets (Skin Removed) (2 fillets of around 4.5 oz each after skin is removed)
- Salt & ground black pepper
- 1/2 tbsp Coconut Oil
For the Salad
- 3 oz Romaine lettuce sliced/shredded
- 2 oz Watercress
- 2 oz Fresh spinach (usually use baby spinach)
- 3 oz Carrots shredded or sliced
- 2 oz Red Onion sliced
- 5 oz Avocado Diced, (whole avocado)
- 3 tbsp Bursting Balsamic Vinaigrette <- click for the link to our recipe
- Salt & ground black pepper to taste
Preparing & Cooking the the Salmon
- Remove the skin from the Salmon fillets and brush with a little coconut oil
- Season with a little salt and freshly ground black pepper
- With the broiler on High, place the salmon on a baking sheet and cook for approx 5-7 minutes, or until done to your liking
Preparing the salad
- Whilst the salmon is cooking…..
- In a large bowl, combine all the salad ingredients and mix to ensure the vinaigrette has coated everything well
- Plate up the salad, and place the cooked salmon on top, serve