Blissful Garlic & Onion Skillet Cornbread
Another comfort food favorite of ours, this corn bread was another great inspiration from Diana Keuilian's book: The Recipe Hacker. We've modified it for our nightshade free diet, but it is truly a wonderful dish especially served warm.
For the bread topping
- 3 oz Red Onion diced or sliced
- 1 tbsp Ground black pepper Coarse ground
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil, Extra Virgin
- 3 cloves Garlic
- 1.5 cups Almond Flour
- 1/3 cup Arrowroot starch
- 1/4 cup Coconut flour
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/4 tsp Himalayan Salt
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric, ground
- 4 eggs Large Eggs
- 3/4 cup Coconut Milk
- 2 tsp Apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup Coconut Oil
- 3 tbsp Local Raw Honey
- Preheat the oven to 425F
- Heat the olive oil in a small skillet. Fry the onions and garlic until soft and slightly brown at the edges, then remove from the heat.
- In a large bowl, combine all the dry ingredients and mix thoroughly.
- In another smaller bowl, mix together all the wet ingredients, using a whisk or fork, whisk until fully combined.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry, and mix until you have a smooth batter. I found a hand whisk gave me the smoothest results, with the least effort.
- Lightly oil an 9" x 9" square (or any shape you like) pan or skillet.
- Place the onions garlic and some fresh coarse ground black pepper on the bottom of the pan. Pour the bread mix on top and smooth out
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes, it should look golden on top when done.
- Let it rest for 5 minutes (although again this takes a tremendous amount of willpower) and then turn it out onto a serving plate or chopping board. The onions/garlic etc should now be the top of the "corn-bread". Cut, serve and ideally eat whilst still warm.
Before we moved to a nightshade free diet, we did made this dish with the Jalapenos and it's amazing, so if you can have nightshades, we recommend adding 4 fresh Jalapeno peppers to replace the onion.
Calories: 331kcalCarbohydrates: 21gProtein: 9gFat: 27gSaturated Fat: 12gPolyunsaturated Fat: 0.4gMonounsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 93mgSodium: 192mgPotassium: 24mgFiber: 5gSugar: 8g
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!